Saturday 11 October 2008

SUPERTED STADIUM?



Welsh multi-millionaire Mike Young - the man who designed and created the cartoon character Superted - wants to sponsor Cardiff City's new stadium. Superted would be the first superhero in the world to have his own football stadium.

I've been a City fan since I was a schoolboy, maybe 10 years old, and I went to watch Cardiff play Leeds. Trevor Ford played for the Bluebirds that day and John Charles was centre-half for Leeds. Both were great Welsh players, but it was Ford's day - he scored a hat-trick and City won 4-1. Now I get back as often as I can, around six or seven times a season. I've lived in Los Angeles for 17 years now and at one stage I went 10 years without seeing them lose. That ended last season when they lost against Leicester City in the Carling Cup.'

Bluebirds fanatic Young, aged 60 and from Barry, has a studio and runs his own company, Mike Young Productions in Los Angeles.

'We are the largest independent animation company in America. We do more animation than Disney,' he added.

Superted isn't the only celebrity to sponsor Cardiff City. Local band the Super Furry Animals had their logo on the Bluebird's shirts when they released a single called 'Man Don't Give a Fuck' as a tribute to the 70's maverick Cardiff City player, Robin Friday.

No comments: